FIRST THINGS FIRST: WHAT IS A TAG?
WHAT IS TAG MANAGEMENT?
A tag management system (TMS) makes it simple for users to implement, manage, and maintain tags on their digital properties with an easy to use web interface. Using a TMS is integral to providing a foundation for your organization’s data collection and governance needs while helping to drive better customer experiences.
Tag management is not the most exciting name for a crucial technology, often being confused with blog tags, tag clouds or search engine meta tags. Tag management is not related to any of those. Tags are a means to collect and move data between a website or mobile app session, and the technology vendor. Nevertheless, that is how the industry evolved, and the name stuck, although it is quickly becoming part of a larger data conversation.
Tag management systems emerged in the late 2000s to address challenges posed by the explosive growth in digital marketing solutions, now numbering 5,381, according to ChiefMartec.com, a leading authority on marketing technology. Tag management helps organizations strategically manage their data foundation and streamline tag deployments, which previously required ongoing IT assistance to support.
— Scott Brinker、ChiefMartec.com
Tag Management Extends Beyond the Website
Tag management has moved rapidly to help manage tags and data outside of the traditional website. Companies are using tag management to control and manage their customer data and MarTech vendors across web, mobile, IoT, and connected devices. One thing to note about mobile apps is that instead of using a master tag from the tag management provider, they leverage a library that serves the same essential purpose. Once the library is added to the mobile app, marketers and mobile developers can add analytics and other solutions without having to recertify the app in the mobile app marketplaces.
Key Benefits of Tag Management
- Build and manage your own best-in-class marketing stack – Create a data collection foundation that works with 1000+ technology solutions allowing you to quickly and easily swap out old solutions and test new ones
- キャンペーンを市場に出す時間を短縮 – マーケティング担当者はより多くの利益をもたらすキャンペーンをよりすばやく、簡単に開始できます。
- Improve website performance – Intelligent tag loading and superior architecture ensure your site loads fast.
- Reduce costs and focus on business – Free up valuable marketing and IT resources for strategic projects.
- Ensure Data Governance and Protection – Audit and control the data collection practices of each of your vendors, while also standardizing data definitions across solutions.
WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? FIRST PARTY DATA.
Because of its strategic position in the data supply chain, tag management systems have rapidly evolved to become a key part of the foundation for data management and collection. A tag management system collects first party data. First party data is considered the most powerful and relevant data because it is the behaviors and interactions you compile on visitors. This robust first party data can be used to create unified customer profiles, driving more timely and relevant omnichannel experiences while fueling business intelligence initiatives and streamlining data warehouse projects.
REASONS YOU NEED A TAG MANAGEMENT SOLUTION
There are many factors in determining whether you need tag management. Here are six sure-fire signs…
- You are using a complex, enterprise analytics solution, such as Adobe Analytics or IBM Coremetrics
- You are about to deploy mobile apps – the same benefits that tag management provides for traditional sites, also apply to mobile apps
- You are about to redesign your website– maintaining analytics and campaign continuity is crucial
- You want the flexibility to change marketing vendors
Why Now Is The Perfect Time To Evaluate Your Tag Management Options
Customize Your Demo
Take a self-guided tour of Tealium iQ Tag Management